Thoughts/ramblings as I foolishly stumble into the real world.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Feel Free to Hate Me, But............

I started watching Lost.  I KNOW, I KNOW, in my last post I said that I was gonna spend my free time learning AutoCAD and retroactively drafting sound system block diagrams.

So far, I'm 7 episodes into the 2nd season, and I'm sort of hooked.  Go ahead and judge me if you want, but so far there are very few things that I don't like about it.
List of Lost Dislikes so far:

  • Repeated line: "DON'T TELL ME WHAT I CAN AND CAN'T DO!!!"
  • The presence of Michelle Rodriguez.  I hate her so much.
  • The WAY throw-back "Previously on Lost" bits before every episode.  Sometimes they go as far as 20 episodes back, and it's just really frustrating to watch.  
  • If the characters just came out and said what they meant, so many problems could have been avoided that were caused by lack of communication.  I know this is one of the central themes of the show, but it's still annoying to watch. 
Positive things:

  • I don't have the major issue that I thought I would with the number of cliff-hanging endings of episodes.  I thought it would feel like reading The DaVinci Code, where each chapter cliff-hung (is that a word?) the reader to keep them reading onto the next page.  I actually thing that Lost aggressively went against the grain of cliff-hanging endings (at least in the first season).  
  • There have only been a few "OH HOLY SHIT" moments *so far*.  I know that more come later in the show, but I thought that I would be bombarded by "OH SHIT" moments from the get-go, and I haven't been, so that's good.
  • I also thought I would hate the absurd number of flashbacks and longer back-story scenes.  I know that they are important to the development of the story, and I thought that I would hate them.
  • I never thought I would say this, but J.J. Abrams has created really interesting complex characters that play very well off each other.  Through the flashbacks, we see the characters both their best and worst, and we get to know them inside and out.  I'm intrigued
  • The acting is at times quite good.  
I am gonna keep watching during my downtime at work, and continue to learn AutoCAD when I have my second monitor at home.

Like I said, go ahead and judge me, but I was really curious to see what all the fuss was about, and it sucked me in.

No comments: