Thoughts/ramblings as I foolishly stumble into the real world.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

R.I.P. Facebook, Hello Life

Today, I permanently deleted my facebook account.  So far, it's been a very liberating experience.  No longer do I come home from work(at which I had been on facebook for hours) and sit on facebook instead of being productive.  I came home from dinner, had a snack, changed over my laundry, and then did some reading and smoked the hookah on the balcony with Matt.  Deleting my facebook account is something that I've wanted to do for quite some time, but the catalyst today was this blog post that I saw on digg.com today:

http://www.rocket.ly/home/2010/4/26/top-ten-reasons-you-should-quit-facebook.html

While I agree with this blogger's stance on facebook's lack of ethics, the post really only acted as a catalyst, fanning the flames of my already burning desires to do away with facebook from my life.  I spent entirely too much time on facebook, and I cared entirely too much about other peoples' perceptions of me on facebook.  The one thing that I will miss out on is the chance to "network" online with other theater professionals, but.... NEWS FLASH ::: The world went 'round before facebook ever existed, and my world will continue to turn now without it.  

I've decided I need to spend more time living my life instead of projecting my life onto others via social networking.  I'm going to continue to use Twitter, because the character limit and sheer stupidity of the majority of its user-base severely limits my ability and desire to project myself onto other people.  Coupled with my blog here, I'm pretty sure that I'll obtain a healthy dose of internet socializing while not allowing myself to get sucked in or carried away.  Life needs to be about life, not about facebook, or how other people perceive you (especially on the internet).  I already feel like I am spending my free time better, and it's only been roughly 10 hours since I deleted my account.

Now, on to more fun matters.  I've made it a daily task to check the theatre job websites at around noon when the new listings arrive each weekday.  In fact, on weekends, very often I am sad that I can't compulsively look for any openings for audio positions.  I've been sending out plenty of resumes, cover letters, and applications, and I have a feeling that it will pay off for me soon.  Staying in Delaware wouldn't be the end of the world, but it's time to get out.

However, when I'm working on productions like this on(http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2010305020011) it becomes harder to say goodbye to what I recognize as the place where I am beginning my professional career.  The REP's production of The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui is quite possibly the best production of the year, and even though there isn't very much sound from a board operator's perspective, I still find great joy in providing my services to the production in making sure that the communications and monitoring systems are up and running for each performance.  Do yourself a favor and come see it if you are around or can get to Delaware easily.

Ummm, Dear Diary, that's all for now.  Whatever.

No comments: